Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 25 December 2019

Christmas Day.

 May the New Year bring health and contentment to all.
We've had a very quiet day at home as we will be seeing family later. We exchanged our token gifts in the morning though I think Peter got carried away with his shopping. I now have a veritable stash of calories in the form of chocolates, marzipan and other tasty items. I shall have to use a great deal of restraint and ration them strictly if I am to have any hope of loosing the weight gained while not feeling my best these last few months. 
I woke early and as often happens needed to stretch my back with some exercises so up I got. I looked out to enjoy the lovely blue sky which at that time was studded with pink tinged clouds.  It was then I heard the faint sound of church bells ringing in Christmas Day. Nothing for it but to open the window and enjoy the happy peals. For once the traffic hum had ceased and after the bells stopped all I could hear was the sound of seagulls later followed by the cooing of wood pigeons. The weather was perfect for our planned beach walk but sadly Peter's arthritis has flared up, this time in his foot. The more he rests it now the quicker the attack will be over and his immune system back to normal. I was happy to potter around, wrapping the last of the presents which will be hand delivered and putting away all the wrapping materials. I did a bit more knitting before we both prepared our Christmas dinner, chicken Kiev, roast potatoes, red cabbage, swede and carrot mash and stuffing which we ate around 6.00. We find with our reduced activity we only need two meals a day. A hearty bowl of porridge for breakfast and an early evening meal is quite sufficient.
Our Christmas viewing seems to have been on the sombre side. Yesterday we watched 'The Dirty War on the NHS', a very disturbing expose by John Pilger of the way the corporate bodies and politicians have been scheeming and conspiring to privatise the NHS. Already billions have been sucked out of the system to pay shareholders and management to the extreme detriment of patients. Absolutely horrifying but we need to be informed in order to oppose this. Our only consolation is that Welsh health service is devolved and the Welsh parliament is almost all Labour. After that cheery offering this morning listening to Radio 4 - 'With Great Pleasure', a compilation of readings and music we heard a beautifully written sad piece about the death of a pet A Death in the Family by Caitlin Moran. Not only were the programme presenters in tears by the end I should imagine that most of the listeners were too. On a brighter note this evening we began watching Rogue Wars, (a Star Wars film) but halfway through Peter fell asleep so I switched over to watch 'Call the Midwife'. We can watch the end of the film another day. The plot was minimal but the effects superb.
PS. Just listened to 'Three Vicars Talking' on Radio 4, a conversation between three very down to earth vicars which made a fitting end to the day.

2 comments:

happyone said...

We had a quiet day too but very nice.
A blessed and Merry Christmas to you and Peter.

Ruta M. said...

Thank you.