Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 21 December 2019

Wet.

We woke to a sunny morning and then saw rain clouds blowing in from the west. After that the day turned grey and very wet.
I made a start on our Christmas dinner, cooking carrot and swede mash. We are not planning a traditional dinner, for one I don't really like turkey and secondly it's only the two of us. However carrots were on promotion at Tesco's, 15p for a kilo bag and carrot and swede mash freezes well. The swede takes longer to cook so I left it cooking with the windows open for an hour before adding the carrots. Plenty of butter and a generous dash of pepper went in as I mashed and bashed with the masher.
I finished the right hand mitten today. As I checked the pattern (it's different for left and right) I realised I'd been over confident knitting the left hand mitten without looking at the pattern and had missed three rows that should have been done before separating off the thumb. I had to search for the loose ends which I'd already sewn in but now all that needs doing is the top two inches. While I knitted Speedy amused himself rolling around on the floor with the ball of wool.
Peter and I exchange minimal Christmas gifts, mainly consumables, and today I found the perfect way to muffle the clinking of beer bottles - sit each one in a sock! I think Peter would happily not bother with fancy wrapping but I like to see the presents looking a bit special and we continue to keep the presents secret until Christmas morning. The bag of beer, tied with a gold ribbon is secreted under my bedside table to be placed on the other side of the bed while Peter sleeps.

1 comment:

happyone said...

We aren't getting each other anything this year.
Seemed silly to just get each other stuff that we just don't need!!