Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 24 November 2022

Gales.

It's been stormy including hail, cloudbursts and lightning all day with a brief bright spell late in the afternoon. Tonight there's a high tide flood warning for the whole length of the village from the lifeboat station and right out to the estuary. Somebody has just reported that the sea has got over the sea wall down at the far end of the village. Right now the rain is thundering on the roof. I hope it eases off before Peter walks home from the rowing club's curry night. At this morning's high tide I could see that some of the waves had gone right up over the shingle and were lapping at the garden walls of the houses.
We enjoy being able to have a relaxed breakfast while watching the world outside. Today the only people to be seen were a few hardy dog walkers and a crazy surfer. (He can be seen right in the middle of the photo above.) Eventually the surfer gave up and we saw him rushing home trying to shield his face from the stinging hail and rain.
Most of my morning was spent preparing for the Welsh class including trying to make out a conversation from the on-line resources. Halfway through the lesson our doorbell rang so I had to leap up, open the window and call to the delivery person to hand me the parcel through the window. After class I cleaned the dehumidifier filter with the hoover but it has made no difference. The light went on but nothing happened. It might be time to buy a new dehumidifier. 
Then it was time for the disco aerobics. This time I had my feet going in the same direction as everyone else's and quite often the arms too so that's a vast improvement. The constant bouncing on the knees is a bit tough for my arthritis and I eased off towards the end but I certainly felt as though I'd had a good workout.
Something unusual on my way home. Because I prefer not to reverse up the steep slope past our house to get to where I can reverse into the drive I always drive right round the block and reverse into the drive that way. But tonight I couldn't drive down our road due to a car parked almost in the middle of the road. Our road is only just wide enough for two cars to pass and I couldn't drive onto the pavement as we have extra high curbs. I bipped my horn, only once, to see if somebody would come out but no response. I sat for a while and as I looked back before reversing back the way I'd come there was a police car parked across the top of the road. I quickly jumped out and spoke to the police officer about the car blocking the road. She informed me that it was an unmarked police car there to block in the recovery truck parked on the drive of one of the houses. I had no choice but to reverse back out of the road, drive all the way round and then reverse up from the bottom of our road. Sometime later a large transporter came and took not the recovery truck but the small van that was on the truck. I wonder what that was about? I'm sure I'll hear eventually.


 

No comments: