Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 6 November 2022

Wet.

It's been lovely having Vytas and Sally here despite the frequent heavy showers.
Yesterday we thought we'd brave the rain and head off up into the hills. Hang on, I hear you say. Those photos look like you went to the beach. True, but initially we set off to the quarry up in the hills that I'd been to with my walking group. Sally drove and I navigated. I thought I'd gone over the route on Street View but somehow since then something went wrong with my internal navigation system. We got up into the hills, drove past wild and craggy places but eventually it became clear that we weren't on the right road. On a bit more, by which time it was raining heavily and if only we'd of carried on we would have got to a senic reservoir, not where I'd planned but fine otherwise. But by this time the youngsters decided to follow their Google SatNav. I could see we were heading in the right direction to get back to the coast and the forest road we were driving along was very senic. Although at this point the road was just a hard-packed road for logging vehicles it was wide and level and the 60ft high pines on either side were most impressive. As the road emerged from the forest it turned into a track littered with pot-holes full of water. Lots of them. Thanks Google. Sally bravely carried on driving to the point where Vytas and I were walking ahead to check the depth of the holes until a long flooded section of track brought us to a halt. With no room to turn Sally had to reverse back through the pot-holes until there was a turning space. Back into the forest we went and after one detour up a dead end and a cheery wave to a group of surprised off road bikers we were back on the surfaced road. This time we went back the way we came and found ourselves safely in Tal-Y-Bont. (I need to have another session with Street View to find the way to the quarry.)
Still determined to go for a walk we drove to Ynyslas and parked on the beach.


It was wet but we were brave. Until the wind began driving the now torrential rain into our backs and soaking even our waterproofs. Five minutes later the rain stopped but we were glad to head home for dry clothes and some hearty soup (sausage and cabbage) that I had made earlier.
Being young and full of energy Sally and Vytas went off for an extended walk along the cliff tops. We ended the day with the chilli Peter had made followed by apple cake and cream. It's so much better when we can prepare food in advance. We had hoped to see fireworks as it was Bonfire Night but this year we only saw one set of fireworks in the distance. A shame as there were so many last year.
They left after breakfast this morning as they had a 5 hour journey ahead of them and have to go to work tomorrow. I dismantled the bed, put things back and generally tidied up. That took my mind off the usual sadness I feel when any of the family leaves after a visit. Let's hope it's not too long till we see them again.
My favourite photo of the weekend. This morning Vytas was doing his stretching exercises when Speedy, who was scampering around in attack mode decided to kill Vytas' long plait. Vytas' plea of 'Mum can you get the cat off me please?'  was answered by 'Wait a minute, I just need to take a photo.' Well I am a blogger.
Update - I've spent some time 'travelling' Saturday's route on Street view and found that if only I'd had the courage of my convictions and kept on the road for another mile we would have arrived at our destination. Silly old me.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Glad you had such a lovely time with family. :)