Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 11 November 2022

Grey.

A gloomy grey day. 
Today is Remembrance Day when at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month the nation marks the ending of WWI. Looking for a suitable image I was struck by the way the words are there - Lest we forget, but only 21 years later came WWII and indeed since then there has never been time without a war in some part of the world. What is it in man's nature that leads to violence and conflict? Why is it so easy to stir up hatred and aggresion and why do those in power cling on with utter disregard to the needs of others? I suppose if there were easy answers to those questions we might be able to change our ways and live in a happier and harmonious world. In the meantime we can but try to live kinder and better lives and do what we can to help others.
Last night Peter tried to keep up with somebody who walked too quickly and as a result his knee is very painful, again. He had an appointment with the GP in the morning who said that it does sound like his cartilage and will refer him to the hospital though who knows how long that will take? 
In the meantime I got on with the guttering and it's third time lucky. The gutter is in place with a slight slope, enough to drain the water to the down pipe on the right-hand side. Instead of the water simply soaking into the ground at that corner I used the old brown guttering to send the water over to the side of the garden and down along by the street wall. I drilled holes in the guttering so that the  water can reach the very dry soil under the hedge.
The guttering done I did my best to wash down the white wall which had been stained by soil splashed up by rain coming off the terrace. I finished off by forking over the soil which had become compacted by my dainty self walking on it to get to the gutter. I ended the afternoon by tidying up the small raised bed on the left of the terrace which is now accessible after I cut back the bush yesterday. Two buckets of montbretia corms later it's looking a lot better and is ready for the walls to be sealed and then painted white. I shan't do any planting until spring but I can have fun planning what to put there.



 



No comments: