Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 3 April 2020

A Trip to Town.

Fairly sunny today with a chill wind.
I had to collect our prescriptions and as council parking charges have been lifted for the time being I drove down and parked in the cattle market car park. When we first moved here there was a weekly cattle market here on Fridays and the car park would have been full of trailers and tractors. Nowadays Castle Mound, the motte of a motte and bailey castle dating back to 1086 looks down on cars belonging to shoppers. 
The High Street was almost empty with people making sure they kept 6ft away from each other. I felt sad to see some very elderly people, I counted 6, still out and about. When I got to Boots (the chemist) I was asked to wait outside until a shopper came out. I think they were letting in about 4 or 5 people for the pharmacy and the same for the shop. Lines were marked on the floor, both inside and out of the shop to show where to stand at the safe spacing. At the pharmacy counter plastic screens protected the staff and there was a physical barrier about 3ft from the counter to prevent you getting too close. I had taken the precaution of writing out our details; names, address and medications so that I could hand over the list and not have to shout it out. For once the pharmacy was fully staffed and they were even answering the phone. Normally there are about two people serving and the phone is never answered. There was a variety of personal protection amongst the pharmacy staff. One girl had none, several wore latex gloves, one had a surgical facemask but no gloves and one had gloves and a plastic visor. Out in the street I saw several people with face masks and gloves and a few more with gloves.
As well as picking up our prescriptions I went to the butcher to get some meat for my friend who is self isolating and some for Peter who much prefers the local butcher to the supermarket. Then to Iceland for milk and blueberries for us and bananas for my friend.
I dropped off her shopping at my friend's house and had a chat from outside her garden gate. Then home where Peter opened up the doors for me and turned on the tap so that once my gloves were binned I could wash my hands. We're not going as far as washing or wiping down the shopping as we unpack but might have to rethink that if or should I say when the virus reaches North Devon. I think it's safe to say that the virus doesn't remain after 72 hours so dry goods could be left for that long before being unpacked.
And yes, I decided to use up the rest of the hair dye which is what I think I've ended up doing before and now my hair has more of a 'summer spent in the sun' look rather than just  'I've been on holiday'. The daft thing is I don't go round with my hair down and usually have it tied back and under a head wrap to keep the hair off my face.

No comments: