Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 7 April 2020

Bright.

While not that hot it has been a pleasantly sunny day. This morning I spotted a pair of blue tits here for the first time. They were in the front garden acer feeding I presume upon aphids and other small insects. Hoping to encourage them I was going to fill a feeder with fresh peanuts and hang it in the acer. But could I find that half bag of bird peanuts? Not a chance. I searched through all the kitchen cupboards, and there aren't that many of them, several times. Then I searched again this time climbing on a chair to check the plastic storage boxes on top of the cupboards as well as go through the cupboards again. I had to give up in the end. Possibly the peanuts have already been packed for the move. Instead I hung a seed filled feeder in the acer.
Today I went out shopping, first to Lidl's. There the shelves were a little sparse in places but everything was there. I did a generous shop with the hope that I don't need to go out again for 10 days or even 2 weeks when the risk of infection will be greater. After much condemnation of 'panic buying' it turns out that apart from a few selfish people the main reason for the empty shelves we were faced with at the start of the pandemic was simply every shopper adding one extra of the popular items to their shopping. A sensible response to the advice we were getting to prepare to self-isolate for two weeks if we had symptoms that might be corona.
With just a couple of things to get from Tesco's I was looking forward to a gentle browse and check out any plant bargains. When I got there I was greeted by a queue (below) that went from the front entrance, around the side …... 
……. down the side (the photo below continues on from the right hand side of the photo above) and the same again to the far corner of the building. Too long for just a few items. Instead I got back in the car, filled up with petrol and drove over to Asda. No queue at all there though the security guard said sometimes there was a queue and sometimes there wasn't. Inside Asda a number of the more frequented aisles were part of a one-way system marked by arrows on the floor. I got the rest of my shopping and a few bargains. There wasn't a lot of wholemeal bread left but I got one loaf which was all I needed. The bargains were 5 spools of gold curling ribbon at 10p each and 2 nice quality red party tablecloths for 20p each. They would be very handy for wrapping extra large parcels.
Anticipating the opportunity to photograph the pink Harvest moon it is disappointing to see the sky filling with clouds. But for once the evening light is reflecting off the sea in the far distance, a rare occurrence.

No comments: