Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 18 April 2020

Hot Afternoon.

The morning was overcast and felt distinctly cold. It was a pleasant surprise  when by the afternoon the clouds began to part and the heat returned.
It was already warming up when I went out to the front garden to give the blob bush a trim. The flowers were over so I was able to attack it with some shears. I attempted to sharpen the shears with the whetstone but maybe it needed longer than the few minutes I spent. I can still remember the knife sharpener man coming around the streets when we had our first house in London. I think his grinding stone was on a kind of hand cart he pushed along calling out for custom. I also remember the rag and bone man going round the streets with his horse and cart at around the same time though I think he was after scrap metal and junk rather than the rags and bones he would have collected in Victorian times. That's also brought back memories of the many London street markets where the custom of stall holders calling out their wares still continued. I remember thinking how quiet the Pannier Market was when we first moved down.
We took the loungers out to enjoy a bit more sun but I ended up spending all my time sorting out the climbers I bought in Tesco's the other day. They've grown vigorously and really need potting up into bigger pots. The pots I have but I need to buy some good quality potting compost as I'm sure that it'll take time before the courtyard garden in Borth will be ready for permanent planting. Luckily the local garden centre has kept its 'farm fresh' produce shop open and has made some plants and things like compost available too. 

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Your post took me back to my childhood in Cleveland, Ohio when we ,too, had a paper and rag man, a knife sharpener and our milk was delivered by horse and boggy! Thanks, Ruta, for my lovely trip down memory lane!