Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 8 March 2021

Dry.

Grey morning and a sunny afternoon. There are a few more clouds in the sky now, could be a good sunset. We had a pretty sunset yesterday but my photos came out yellow rather than pink.
The builders came this morning and have spent the day working on the garage, adding the gutters and fascias and filling in the gaps above the windows. Hopefully they will get the front of the house done tomorrow as there's a weather warning out for 70mph winds blowing straight in from the west. I've just checked the forecast and it's light rain and drizzle for tomorrow with frequent heavy rain and wind for Wednesday. Oh dear!
Peter and I went out for a walk in the morning while the tide was out. Not the extra low tide that we had last week but a lot of sand has been left up on the beach making it very easy to walk on. This sand had dried out at the top of the beach as the high tides also haven't been that high. At one point we had to navigate our way round a number of deep holes dug by children and dogs. It had obviously been a busy weekend.
Walking back I could see smoke from a garden bonfire up on the hill. Earlier I'd attempted to start a very small fire in the garden but even the drier branches needed a bigger fire to get going so I resorted to chopping the branches into even smaller bits and bagging them up. Then to rub salt into my wounds as we walked home I saw a great plume of smoke coming from a garden about six houses along the cliff from us. However I don't want to be upsetting the neighbours. In the afternoon I had a second gardening session and had yet another bonfire attempt. I thought even if I could only burn one handful of the dry grass at a time I might be able to reduce the amount I need to bag up. Unfortunately with the second handful the acceptably small amount of smoke simply died down and that was it. I double checked the council website earlier but for the moment no garden waste is being accepted at the dump, maybe that will change when the lockdown is eased off. (There's going to be an announcement on Friday.) The garden waste collection service is also not happening at the moment. It's a good system though, you buy special bags from the council (£1.40), let them know roughly how many you'll be putting out and they get collected on general rubbish day (every three weeks).
This afternoon as I was beginning work in the front garden a Red Kite flew by and then hovered about 15ft above my head for a while before carrying on along the cliff. I knew there was no point in rushing back to get my camera and instead just admired its silhouette and the way it used its tail to maintain its position.

Garage roof just about done.
 

No comments: