Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 28 March 2021

Grey.

Grey and windy all day today but surprisingly warm. Listening to the weather forecast for the week  one minute there was talk of the highest ever March temperature, 25C/77F due to warm winds blowing up from Spain and in the next warnings about sleet and snow over high ground a day later. Gale warnings coming up on the shipping forecast as I type.
The clocks went forward this morning which doesn't make a lot of difference to us except that we'll need to be up an hour earlier when any builders come. It will be good to have an extra hour of light in the evening though I'll be sad not to watch the sun setting as we eat our dinner. No chance of that today with the whiteout conditions.
With the lifting of the lockdown restrictions allowing people to travel anywhere within Wales there have been more people around. You're not allowed to meet people indoors but six people can meet outside including in a garden which is fine as long as it isn't raining. I wonder if there's been an upsurge in the sales of gazebos?
Poor Peter is suffering with a heavy cold and my back isn't happy after yesterday's stretching over the hedge so we've had a quiet day. I put up some banqueting roll over my study windows to satisfy my need for privacy but the rest of the day has been spent researching stuff. First subject was the mirror film for the windows. Having measured up each pane of glass to be covered I went through the various on-line options looking for the most efficient size of roll to buy. That sorted I next scrolled down to the reviews, oh no, they weren't good. The same with a couple of different brands. So then I looked for a reliable review site which I didn't really find. What I did find was a report that mirror film shouldn't be used on external windows that have full sun as they can overheat, distort and even break. This was confirmed in a separate review which made me reconsider as both the windows in my study get a lot of sun (when it's shining). 
So now I plan to put up sheer white curtains over the glass, think luxury beach resort rather than net curtains. Perhaps this will be the best solution.
The rest of my tapping away has yielded a curtain pole to go across the dining table window and instead of extendable net rods for the sheer curtains I can buy wooden doweling of the right length at the local builders' merchants for a fraction of the cost. I think I've found the matching pain duck egg blue fabric for the door but they don't have any samples at the moment which I need to get first to check the colour match.
 

1 comment:

happyone said...

We have two windows in the corner of our living room just like in your picture. Lets in lots of light.