Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 3 February 2012

Even Colder.

It seems that nearly every morning the TV announcer says we have had 'our coldest night of the winter', and this was certainly the case today. The bitterly cold but dry wind that is sweeping in from Siberia had brought the temperature down to -9C this morning. For once Peter was having a lie-in while I went off to work early, it's usually the other way around. My little car takes a long time for the heater to blow hot air into the car so for the first time ever I filled a hot water bottle to put on my lap under the fleece throw that is always in the car. It worked a treat. I stopped briefly to take some sunrise pictures on my way in to work. At school my classroom heater was pouring out warmth for which I was really thankful. I acted as a teaching assistant in the morning so that the student on teaching practice could teach and in the afternoon it was phonics and then half of the class went out to gardening club. So not a hard day for me.
Coming home it was still clear and cold. At 4.30 the temperature had risen to -5C but since the sun has gone down it has dropped to -7C. Paul's lake has about half frozen over and my little pond is completely iced up. Not good news for the frogspawn. We are letting the cats sleep in the house rather than the conservatory but the kitchen is not that warm as the Rayburn burns oil at a constant rate. No fancy gadgets such as a thermostat in that expensive pile of aspirational ####. Having the second electric radiator in our bedroom in the evening does make it nice and warm in there so when my fingers finally turn to ice I shall burrow under a throw and watch TV in there. I can't type with a second pair of gloves over my fingerless gloves but I can operate the mouse so I have got a bit more time down here.




No comments: