Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 7 February 2012

Turning Cold Again.

It was bright and sunny this morning but when I looked at the thermometer the temperature was below freezing. I thought maybe my thermometer wasn't too accurate but when I went outside my fingers and icy drops on the grass told me that yes it was cold again. I got nice and warm splitting a load of logs for next weekend's fires. It's such a good feeling when the axe goes straight in and the wood splits cleanly. More often with me the axe sticks in the top of the log and I have to raise the whole thing up before letting it fall with a loud clunk on the concrete hopefully to split into burnable chunks. Today's wood was some beech that must have been cut at least 2 years ago. Atmospheric and romantic as it is to have a wood fire I don't want to be splitting logs in my old age.
Once warmed up I got on with my current weeding task. I'm trying to do a thorough job and making sure that as many roots as possible are removed. I found more bindweed today, a horrible nest of snake-like white roots. I even put in a further hour of weeding when I got home from school until I realised that the grass was freezing up. At least now I have finished the main section of the rocky bank.


The full moon is shining in the clear sky and the night is turning cold but no more sleet or snow is forecast until the week-end.











1 comment:

happyone said...

What terrific moon shots!!!