Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 16 February 2012

Happy Birthday Vytas.

It's Vytas' birthday today. He's 26, how the years fly by. He lives up in Leicester and is, hopefully, nearing the completion of his thesis for his PhD (physics). It's a long way from the little boy who told his nursery school teacher that he didn't draw people, only rockets. As can be seen from the picture of Vytas, Sally and friend there really was snow in other parts of the country. (I copy all the Facebook photos of the boys so I get to see what they are up to.)
Here the weather has slipped back to grey and nothingness. It was fine for gardening and my weeding is still on schedule. The first area tackled was the hardy geranium bed at the edge of the lawn. The grass had grown into the flower bed and some of the geraniums were making their escape across the lawn. I like an exuberant natural(ish) garden but the lawn was disappearing under some common pink geranium so I ruthlessly dug it all out. Combined with the mole tunnels there and the wet conditions at the bottom of the hill that bit of lawn now resembles a muddy battlefield. The rest of the day was spent hacking/stabbing/ pulling out the big bracken heads growing between the rocks. It's a hard horrible job which probably explains why it wasn't done last year. I have been working further away from the pond so the frogs have been croaking away and laying yet more frogspawn. Over on the lake there has been a lot of quacking from the ducks - today and splashing from the 10 Canada geese - yesterday.
After climbing about on the hillside I finished my day sitting by the scree garden with my book and a cup of tea until twilight and light drizzle sent me indoors.

3 comments:

happyone said...

Happy Birthday to Vytas!! They sure grow up fast. Hard to believe my oldest will be 40 in July!!!
What a great snowman!!!
What's with the new word verification. Getting hard to see what the letters are!

Ruta M. said...

No word verification at this end. I've given up trying to wonder why things keep changing.

Catching the Magic said...

Happy belated Birthday greetings to Vytas! Love the pic!

(The new word verification is appearing on all the 'Blogger' blogs I read - it's not just your blog - must be something they've changed).