Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 12 February 2012

Some Gems, Strawberries And A Gurnard.

It was rather grey and dreary today so for our walk we decided to go to Barricane beach. When we arrived the tide was out so we walked along the cliff to the next beach, Coombesgate and then had a rock pooling walk along the beach to Barricane. I love the way there seems to be a separate world in each pool as you look down through the crystal clear water.





As a result of my enquires about the Daisy anemone I had been told about a couple of other less common species of anemone so our time was spent looking for Gem and Dahlia anemones. Peter was the first to find some Gem anemones and we found about 10 in all as well as another Daisy anemone, some strawberry anemones one of which was 10cms across and some grey anemones. I've sent photos to the nice chap at the Marine Society and I'm sure he will be able to confirm what they all were. There were a lot of people around especially down at Woolacombe as it is the start of the half-term holiday and the surf was reasonably good.



These are the common Snakelocks anemones.




Hardly any of the rock pools have stones to hide under so when I found a large flat stone in a pool I lifted it off carefully and found this 12cm grey gurnard. When we were rock pooling on Lundy a member of our party found out that these fish bite. After taking a photo I put the stone back to keep it safe from the seagulls until the tide came in.



We dropped in at Tescos as it is on the way home and by the time we got home it was raining gently so no chance of any gardening. Supper tonight is ham & cheese tortellini for which Peter will be making a mushroom sauce.

No comments: