Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 2 April 2012

Changing Weather.

Woke up this morning to a grey sky and the radio talking about temperatures in Scotland dropping to 20C lower than last week and snow already falling on some Scottish mountains. When I had heard someone mention snow last week I thought it was an early April Fool but we are now being predicted sleet and snow for Tuesday night and all day Wednesday - HERE! At first I could see the sun shining weakly through the greyness but even as I went to get my camera the mist rolled in and blotted out the sun completetly. Going out to feed the chickens I couldn't even see the lake on the other side of the hedge. This prompted me to go up the hill to see the extent of the mist. Fisrt I stopped to say hello to the friendly youngsters who are in one field together. One of them, Ben I think, had a strap dangling from his fly sheet so I had to clip that back on. Luckily I could do it through the fence and didn't have to scramble through the fence and onto the very wet grass.
Once I got up the hill I could see that the mist was confined to the valley.


And when, no more than 10 mins later, I walked back down the hill, the mist had retreated to the very bottom of the valley.

The weather forecast was full of dire warnings about the rest of the week so I would have liked to spend the whole day out in the garden but I had some urgent jobs (posting some Easter parcels to the boys), to do in town.


As I drove towards town I could see the familiar grey smudging which indicated mist in town as well. When I got there you couldn't see any mist but I could certainly feel the chill in the air. In town I also went to the library where I stocked up on books for the holiday. A bit of a random selection, women authors only and not from the bottom 2 shelves because bending down and up can be tricky for my back. I also paid for the first library book I have ever lost. I can't find it anywhere at home and I wonder if the automatic machine didn't pick it up when I put a whole pile of books in the slot. My fault for not checking, I have had that happen since but I then I did notice. If the book turns up at home or in the library then I can get my money back minus £1. I finally found a pair of lightweight loose black trousers for work in one of the cheaper shops which was a relief. Finally I did some food shopping and hopefully I won't need to hit the shops again this holiday.

Back home I worked out in the garden, mainly digging up weeds. I must say that I don't remember the garden being so tidy this early in the year which gives me a feeling of satisfaction. Not that the garden is pristine, I'm not that type of person but I find it hard to relax when there are too many overgrown corners. I ended the afternoon sitting up by the scree garden. I had intended to read but instead just sat and enjoyed the relative tranquility of the valley. I say relative because the birds are very loud at the moment. In the background I could hear sheep (no lambs yet), the occasional cow and a rooster crowing on a farm up the valley. I watched the clouds making interesting shapes as they were blown across the sky. It is unfortunate that with global warming the UK will get colder as we get more of these winds blowing down from Siberia.

No comments: