Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 27 April 2012

Not So Much A Post But A Tweet.

It rained in the morning but it dried up by lunchtime. I spent the morning doing general housework and some sewing.


I finally got around to making myself this handy strap to carry my gortex jacket when I don't need to wear it. The ex-naval jacket is totally waterproof and brilliant for torrential downpours or braving the open sea but it is a bit bulky to carry especially as I tend to throw my worldly goods into an over the shoulder bag rather than a backpack. It is just a shoulder strap with 2 cross pieces that close using velcro. That way I can roll up my coat and sling it over my shoulder along with my bag, binoculars and camera. (I've just read this through and it sounds as if I need to carry the coat at all times but really it's just when I'm out walking in this changeable weather of ours.) The stair window is an excellent bird watching spot. Today I saw first the goldfinch (red face) having a bath in the stream and then he/she was joined by a greenfinch. I really should try and climb up over the oil tank and clean that window.
I had thought this was Mrs Goldfinch or a youngster but not according to my bird book. At least as far as I can tell.
Later in the afternoon I heard Jack yelling at Neville and when I went to bring in my washing there was only one gosling left with the parents. Shame.


I thought I had spotted a couple of swallows the other day. I went to do some weeding this afternoon and even if I hadn't seen them swooping in and out of the outbuildings their distinctive double chirrups would have alerted me to their presence. All 3 nests have been refurbished with fresh mud so things will be busy up there. I did a quick check to make sure there was no way for the cats to get up onto the rafters so hopefully the swallows will be safe.

Also heard yesterday was the cawing of young jackdaws, up in the loft! They must have pulled out some of the wire netting that Romas put up there or found another way in. We'll leave them up there now and I'll ask Romas to have another try at blocking all the gaps in the autumn.

Now the only summer visitors we are waiting for are the pipistrelle bats. They don't migrate but have different winter and summer roosts and our loft is home for them in the summer. I've given up hoping that the house martins will come and build their nests under the eaves as we haven't seen them for a number of years.

No comments: