Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 22 April 2012

Dinning Out.

Peter and I gave ourselves the day off today and went out for a carvery lunch at the Blackmoor Gate, aka Station Inn. Peter was out rowing at 7.00 so he did have an early start but I had a lazy morning. I did get up to feed the hens and tidy the kitchen but then I went back to bed. As I am only comfortable lying flat on my back, as opposed to sitting up, my tendency is to fall asleep again but Peter woke me when he came home. It had been quite cold out on the water but they missed the rain which came down in time for the second crew's row. We had a gargantuan lunch at the Station Inn though the roast beef was not quite as tender as usual. We had roast beef (Peter had pork as well) along with roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding (I pass on that), carrots, cauliflower and creamed swede. The vegetables are so tasty I would be happy with a plate of veg smothered in gravy. My eyes looked eagerly at some of the ice cream/creamy desserts going to other diners but I knew there was no way I could manage one after a roast dinner. By the time we had finished it had stopped raining once more so we went for stroll on Trentishoe Common, where Exmoor meets the sea.
Everything is looking a bit bare because the heathers are all summer flowering but it was good to be out in the open. It was very windy and we didn't walk too far because all that work on the rayburn has been bad for Peter's knees. We passed a group of older walkers who as well as proper walking clothes, were carrying rolled up golf umbrellas. Probably not a good idea because if they did try to use them they would have been flying off the cliff like a set of Mary Poppins.


The closest bay is Woody Bay, location of Hunters' Inn mentioned in Lorna Doone.

PS Elwen came home today minus one fang, (are they still canines even in cats?), as far as I can tell the whole tooth is missing. Knowing Elwen it is probably embedded in a rat. Though the smallest of our cats she is a fearsome hunter sometimes bringing home rats that are half her size.
PPS Trentishoe is pronounced Trent - tis- hoe.

PPS The rayburn is running much better now but Peter is still not happy with it so he is going to call in the expert. Thank goodness.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Ruta....Again you've managed to draw me into your photographs. I get more "eye" pleasure from your blog than you can imagine. You've allowed me to sit and dream as I "see" myself walking around your part of the world. Thank you so very much.

happyone said...

Sounds like a lovely way to spend the day. We are getting some much needed rain today.