Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 14 April 2012

A Difficult Day.

It's been a bit of a frustrating day today. Peter turned the rayburn off yet again to reset everything but it is still not running properly. He thinks the problem is with the oil valve which regulates the flow of the oil into the feeder tube and then into the burner cage. The oil valve is incredibly temperamental and only needs the slightest touch to cause it to play up. If it is still no go by tomorrow then we will have to get an expert in but that could be a bill of hundreds. Ouch!

As part of my decorating I thought I should spruce up the cupboards/shelves that are part of our built in wardrobes. So today I assigned myself what I thought was the simple task of wiping down the shelves and painting the back of the cupboard. Hah! First everything had to come off the shelves - I wish I had the strength to dispose of most of the 'stuff' I have accumulated over the years. I mean do I really need to keep the wooden hairbrush I took to boarding school when I was 6? Some things have memories, others are in the 'might be useful one day' category and others are just things I like. The top 2 shelves where I keep my jewellery and where the kettle and morning tea making things are kept do get cleaned fairly regularly but the lower shelves which only house closed storage boxes seem to have been a bit neglected. So there was plenty of scrubbing to do, mostly of tea drip stains. Why are men so messy? Then I discovered I could take out the shelves so next the cupboard was half dismantled and every corner scrubbed to a pristine state. I painted the back wall with emulsion then it seemed silly not to paint the front frame with white gloss paint. Only then did I decide that I should paint all the internal woodwork as well. This involved leaning carefully past the bits I had already painted and trying not to get gloss paint on me. I don't think I organised myself too well today.
Outside it has been dry but cold so there was no major temptation to escape to the garden.

No comments: