Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Not Snowing Yet.

Scotland may have had 6" of snow last night but we have had a fairly mild day albeit grey. It warmed up even more in the afternoon when we had some blue skies but now, 5.00, the promised rain has arrived and it is due to get colder tonight. My first job of the morning was to make a handy side table using the non-working lazy Susan that had come with the garden furniture we bought on eBay last year. The metal tripod was from a broken stool that once belonged to my mother.
Although I did want to get on with the bedroom, in anticipation of bad weather I spent the whole day working outside. I planned to tie back a large, ie 10ft high, wild rose that was hanging over the shed but I cut it right back instead. I'm not keen on chopping down plants but it wasn't special and definitely too big. If it grows back that's fine and if it doesn't that's fine also. Clearing most of the rose made it possible for me to get to the stinging nettles growing along the fence at the bottom of the chickens' run (aka orchard). For once I had the time to dig out all the roots and I filled bucket after bucket with thick yellow roots. My work was closely watched by the 2 hens who kept darting in to snatch any juicy worms I unearthed.
Taking a break I saw that the ponies were having a lie-in. I couldn't get a decent shot of all of them which included one lying flat out fast asleep, because as soon as they see me coming they get up to come and say Hello. I'm guessing they are wearing fly sheets because they are being shown this summer. That's Ben at the front and once again his strap was undone.


This is Neville a Border terrier, the latest addition next door. He's a friendly little chap though Speedy doesn't think so and runs off at double speed when Neville comes visiting. I don't think the cats have recovered from the time Neville came and ran around the kitchen.

The rain is getting heavier and sounds like it is set for the night. It has been dry for such a long time and the ground could do with a good soaking. Reservoirs are low and there are hose pipe bans in parts of the country. I shall just enjoy the sound of the rain on the conservatory roof.

3 comments:

Harriet said...

I truly appreciate you sharing your corner of the world with us. I enjoy your comments on your daily go about, your pics of animals, flowers....you make my day a pleasant beginning as I read you, usually, in the morning. Thank you very much.

Ruta M. said...

Thank you for your comment. I sometimes womder if I am like some derangerd woman chatting away to herself and it is reassuring to know that there are people out there reading this.

Harriet said...

Ruta...I read you each and everyday. Your photographs allow me to "visit" England without leaving my home. You've introduced me to your family-thank you-your profession and your life. From the comfort of my home, I've been able to walk the streets you've walked and see the sea. As our world continues to shrink, you've introduced me to more than you can imagine. I appreciate every post, cheery for your sons from a distance and look forward to continuing this lovely friendship. Thank you.