Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 3 September 2013

Hot.

Sometime while we were in the staffroom spending 5 hours (plus breaks), learning about diabetes; how to use the blood tester, give injections and calculate carbs and link to a pump, the day changed from hazy and warm to blue skies and baking. The training was for a child who is starting tomorrow. He has a pump but will need his blood testing during the day and we need to know how to use the pen injection in case the pump fails. It's all pain free these days and the pump works out and gives the correct dose once you input the blood sugar level and a few other bits of information. We had the opportunity to test our own blood and my glucose level was a healthy 5.6.
At home the sun had brought out the butterflies which were massed on every sedum and buddlia that was still in the sun. I washed my hair and let it dry in the sun while I chilled out and read a book. 
Gemma dropped round to school at the end of the day and gave me the disc of photos from the other day. This is the one Peter and I both like so we are going to have it printed and framed. It is so rare to have a picture of us together.

3 comments:

happyone said...

What a lovely photo of the two of you. : )
Wow that's a lot of butterflies in one place. Great photo.

Harriet said...

Ruta.....Excellent photo and one you will treasure. Are those butterflies Monarchs? I've been watching for Monarchs in my garden and saw few all summer. Now it is Fall and they will be migrating across the states to Mexico. I read "Flight Behavior" - Barbara Kingsolver. Although fiction, this book teaches a lot about Monarchs. My garden is full of food for butterflies as well as rabbits and many other bugs. I put out a tray with sand that I keep wet for butterflies to drink water. Shall keep on looking for them.

Ruta M. said...

The butterflies are nearly all Small Tortoiseshells. There have been a lot of Small Whites with a number of Peacock butterflies, Red Admirals, Ringlets, Skippers and Small Coppers and the occasional silver washed fritilliary. A few species missing this year but a massive improvement on last year.