Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 6 September 2013

Sunny.

I'm guessing they didn't get the forecast quite right when they predicted 'heavy showers with a risk of flooding'. At least not here. Me and the butterflies were only too grateful to have another sunny day.
Naturally I spent most of the day working outside. We are getting near the time when our valley location will keep us in shade all day even when the sun is shining so every sunny moment is special. 
I gave the lavender bushes a thorough tidy up. I hadn't been able to trim them last year and probably didn't do them the year before so they were sprawling everywhere and blocking the path. I found some lavender to pick and dry but most of the flowers were over. I have to give myself a pat on the back for finishing the job properly by clearing up most of the fallen flowers with my leaf sucker. So often I put things off and never quite finish the job but after 50-odd years I'm beginning to get better. By the time the job was done the shade was already creeping across the garden. So I moved back into the sun to weed the bank that overlooks the drive. 
I'm very fond of grasses and these clumps with their red seed heads positively glow in the sun. Later they will fade to a sandy colour but still look good as they sway in the winter winds. Just in case the grey clouds that have appeared do give us 'heavy rain' I checked the run-offs and re-instated the dam across the road. Better safe than sorry.

1 comment:

happyone said...

I love your garden. Just what an English garden should look like. : )