Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 21 June 2014

Sunny Summer Solstice.

A perfect day to mark the summer solstice, dare I say possibly a tiny bit too hot.When I went out for my walk I could see clouds over to the east and in the north there was solid cloud over the Bristol Channel. Up on the hill the sun was tempered by the chill north wind but down in the valley we were more sheltered and it was pretty hot. Boris was fast asleep stretched out on the grass when I went past.
I was watching 2 male blackbirds through the window  and wondering why they were together, perhaps they had just fledged from the same nest? Then one flew off and the other assumed this strange position. He stayed like this for a while and I crept right outside taking photos until finally he flew away. I can only assume that he was sunbathing, not the wisest thing to do with all the cats around.
Having more or less licked the main garden into shape this weekend I hope to tidy up the scree garden. The wall is going to take the most work as the rubus growing behind has started to take over. I'll need to do a lot of cutting back followed by some herbicide on the stalks that have invaded the wall.  
Peter went off rowing in the middle of the day, he's really enjoying getting back on the water. Later he made some barbecued spare ribs and we ate our evening meal out in the sun up by the scree garden. We ought to enjoy this summer weather while we have it.
It's nearly 10.00 and the sun has only just started to go down.  I'm trying not to dwell on the thought that the nights will be getting longer once more. Sunrise a little later and sunset a little earlier each day.

1 comment:

happyone said...

It didn't seem like summer here at all. Cool and rainy.
It is hard to believe that the days will be getting shorter. I so like walking in the early morning when the sun is up.
Always so much work to do in the gardens, but they sure look pretty.