Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 14 June 2014

Sunny.

Yet another lovely day. It seems that the weather systems have shifted northwards and we have escaped the promised rain. Peter was up very early to row and for more training as a cox so I made an early start too. 
The farmers or at least the contract workers were cutting silage all through the night making the most of this dry spell which could break any day. As well as hearing the rumble of their machines last night I heard another new night sound much closer to home. It wasn't the owls that we often hear but it was possibly the geese. Even though it was 11.00 I put on my dressing gown, grabbed a torch and went out to investigate. I don't know what I thought I was actually going to, save a goose from being attacked by some predator perhaps? When I went outside I was amazed at how light it was even at that hour. Although I might not have been able to read a book there was no need for a torch it was so light. Naturally I did not hear the noise again, just a few sleepy caws from the rooks but I stood there enjoying the night. Boris the foal came over to say hello but got a bit annoyed when I stopped letting him lick my hand so that I could stroke his soft muzzle. He stood back then pawed the ground crossly before coming back up to the fence. By this time I was holding Speedy so that was something new for Boris to sniff at.
Morning walk and jobs done I set to work with the pressure washer. I was only able to wash 4 or 5 slabs before the washer started spluttering so I had to alternate washing with weeding around the pond. Eventually both jobs got done but I shall have to look at the handbook to see if there is a filter that I can get to as I think it may be full of mud. 
Although it was irritating to have to keep changing jobs it was probably better for my back than a whole afternoon spent just weeding. The path is looking nice and tidy. The white pond iris has begun to flower and there is one water lily flower. The pond water level still keeps on rising and falling. Possibly pulling out the deep rooted wild yellow irises last year created a crack through the clay allowing the water to trickle out. I can always fill the pond up with the hose if it gets too low.. 
Peter mowed all the lawns and later on he barbecued some pork kebabs that he had marinaded. These we ate by the scree garden sitting in the evening sun. 

No comments: