Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 29 October 2014

Damp.

Warm and grey again but the morning's very light drizzle didn't put me off getting on with the cementing. 
I've done nearly all of this section but I ran into a bit of a problem with ground water. There was a permanent puddle in the far corner by the steps that I thought I should deal with. After a messy session with some silicone sealant topped with cement I managed to stop the flow of water through the wall. I wasn't too worried about the water getting through later on, I just wanted to be able to re-point the slabs and give the mortar time to set. All was fine until I turned around and saw a big puddle in the middle of the paving. That was on the first area I had done this morning so I don't know if  the mortar there will set or if I'll have to buy some underwater cement (yes, there is such a thing).
I was just washing off my tools wit the garden hose when rain started to fall. A hint that outdoor work was finished for the day. I retreated indoors and did some ironing instead.  

No comments: