Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 19 October 2014

Windy.

It has been much windier today as the edge of the weather system that gave rise to Hurricane Gonzalo hit our shores. Nothing too dramatic but the trees have been swaying and wind chimes clanging. It was bright and sunny in the morning while I chopped up yesterdays apple harvest and as soon as I set foot outside it rained. But not for too long as the wind blew the clouds away once more.
I've also successfully stretched one of my Ugg boots. I've been wearing them for work all through the last 2 winters and was hoping to get at least another year out of them. But after a few recent wearings I noticed the most horrendous blister between my big toe and the next one. I was at a loss to think how my feet had got wider this year and not in previous years. But then I remembered that last spring my boots got soaked a couple of times so maybe they molded themselves back to the size they were before I had one stretched at the shoe menders. I thought I'd try stretching them myself so choosing some stones from my large collection of egg-shaped pebbles I was able to find the right ones to put inside the boot which I had made wet at the toe and hey presto after the boot had dried it was nice and roomy again. I'll stick to my crocs until the blister has gone down but I'm so glad I don't have to start the hunt for something to wear in the winter that doesn't cramp my extra wide toes. I'd rather have difficulty in finding shoes than difficulty in walking on squashed toes when I'm older.
I was able to make a start on my plant propagation and have split and replanted 8 different varieties of hardy geranium. I may have to check my photos to locate some more of my favourites especially the more uncommon varieties. Over the years each time I went to a garden centre or show I would look for new varieties to add to my collection as they are slug-proof and so easy to grow. 

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Last rose of summer? Beautiful.
Lovely photos. Glad you were able to save your boots.