Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 6 October 2014

More Rain.

It was raining heavily when I first woke up this morning so I couldn't rush out to get on with pointing the slabs. When I stuck my head out of doors a bit later on I realised that the rain had stopped and the pitter patter was just the rain falling off trees. By mid-morning the sun was shinning again so I spent the rest of the morning clearing out the gaps between the slabs of the next section so that I'm ready to get straight on with mixing mortar the next time it is dry. I did hope to do that when I got home from school as the afternoon had been hot and sunny but as I turned the final corner before home black rain clouds loomed. I thought I had better not take a chance so naturally the sun came out again. Instead I cut some more of the long grass on the bank. I could do it with the strimmer but that is quite heavy to swing up and down and I don't like the idea of bits of mashed up slug flicking up at me. The shears do a much tidier job and I was able to roll the matted grass down the slope as I worked. When I had finished the grass was in a long sausage which I then rolled up like a carpet.
A bit of an embarrassing moment today-  after school I filled up with petrol only to find that I had left my debit card at home. (When we go out for a walk I don't like to carry my heavy leather purse (wallet) so I put my RAC card and debit card along with a little cash in a small fabric purse.) Luckily it was a local petrol station so once I filled out a form I have 7 days to pay and I'll be able to pop in tomorrow. Silly me.
I was working with my reception class today. I'm slowly getting there with the names but with Miley, Myla, Isla, Elsa & Elsie in the class I still get a bit mixed up. I was really pleased today to see that one little girl who was always on her own at playtimes even when I tried to encourage her to join in, spent the whole time playing, running and generally having fun with another girl from the class. There's nothing wrong with children wanting to play on their own but if it looks to be shyness causing isolation then we worry and try to find a solution. 
This morning I found my one surviving sunflower bent over where a slug had eaten part of the stem. I've propped it up but I don't give much for its chances.
I've just heard Patch making "Look what I've got." noises from the conservatory. And there he was tucking into a pigeon. The pigeon, having been exchanged for a couple of handfuls of dry cat food, is now in the hedge.

1 comment:

happyone said...

I love the lighting on the picture of the stem with leaves.
At least you have 7 days to pay for the gas and they didn't make you work it off. : )