Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 7 October 2014

Thunderstorms.

A loud clap of thunder woke me at 5.00 so I leapt out of bed and did my usual rushing around unplugging the PCs and the router. Only a few more rumbles after that so I went back to sleep for a couple of hours. The sun came out later in the morning and I was able to carry on with my paving repairs. I was just finishing off the mortar in the bucket when down came a really heavy shower of rain. Which was actually a bonus as I had repaired 2 very damaged slabs but could only smooth the cement with my trowel while the paving slabs, due to much use of the pressure washer, have a rough stony surface. The rain has created a stippled effect in the cement which looks a little better. I did smooth out the sections of 'mortar' as best as I could. 
Then at mid-day the thunder rumbled again. We could see that the storm was a few miles off but unplugged things anyway. The power lines must have been hit as suddenly the washing machine beeped at me and all its lights came on and our digital clocks flicked to zero and began flashing.
I took these photos of the storm on my way to work. I didn't see any lightning but the thunder was rumbling away. A good thing I'm not scared of thunderstorms. Peter said the storm continued for a couple of hours but down in town it was bright and sunny with an occasional shower but no thunder.
I had another afternoon in reception doing much the same as yesterday, phonics, trains and readers. Overheard in the playground, "I love you, you are my best friend."

Coming home I had to wait for the Lewis' cows to amble to the farmyard. I can now tell you that cows walk at 3 mph. At home I squeezed in another session cutting the long grass on the bank. Slowly I'm getting the garden ready for winter. (It's a good thing that winter doesn't start until about December giving me plenty of time to cut things back and generally tidy up.)

1 comment:

happyone said...

Great cloud pictures!!
Love the cows. Hardly ever see brown and white ones here. Usually all black or black and white. There was a white one around for a while too.