Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 16 January 2015

Cold.

Yesterday's wintry showers brought a lot of thunder in the afternoon which sent me rushing to unplug the internet. I didn't get back on line until 9.30 when I checked the planning I had been sent for today's teaching and discovered that I needed to plan the maths lesson. That took up the rest of the evening hence no blog yesterday.
Although it was a day of rain, hail and thunder yesterday was a good day because I GOT THINGS DONE. I had the whole day at home and decided to do something about a sturdy office desk that needed to go. I had unsuccessfully offered it to friends and as it was too big to fit in either of our cars the only solution was to take it to pieces. Unscrewing every screw that I could reach got the drawers and top off but the metal frame needed to be cut into pieces. First I tried a couple of low-tech approaches, hitting it with an axe only dented it and filing through the metal worked but would have taken a very long time. So with trepidation I got out the angle grinder which I had never used before. With safety glasses on and my face covered I heaved up the heavy angle grinder and with great showers of sparks cut the frame up in no time. I loaded up my car with as much stuff as I could find around the place and took it down to the dump at Ilfracombe. I called in at Tesco's afterwards and it was so windy that a shopping bag was whipped out of the boot of the car and blown right across the car park. I went and got it back from the hedge and then had to fight the wind to get back to the car. Back home I split some more wood in between showers.
Today I was asked to work all day which did mean driving to work in the cold and dark but I soon warmed up at work and had a good day with a Year 2 class. We ended the day with another fun session of country/line dancing. During Literacy in the morning the children were writing similes about the bad wolf and one child wrote Its eyes were as fierce as Mrs M.....'s eyes. Obviously my teacher's stare does get noticed!
Coming home the clouds to the east reflected the setting sun. 
 That final grey hill is Dartmoor.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Good job getting the desk apart. I smiled as I pictured you cutting it up. : )