Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 29 January 2015

Wintry Showers.

It has been a day of wintry showers but nothing worse than a little hail or sleet. Unlike the north of the country or Scotland where snow is falling. I thought about working outside, briefly, and then decided I'd stay inside. No school for me today so there was plenty of time for schoolwork preparation, housework, sewing and baking. I had bought another long fluffy hooded nightgown thing, a grey one with pointed ears, like an owl? It had taken me nearly 2 weeks to unpick the heavily embroidered eyes. Today I shortened the length but kept it longer than the white fleece I altered. I also removed the ears because they just looked silly.  Then I baked 2 kinds of biscuits for Peter to take in to work tomorrow. I have a lovely book with all sorts of delicious recipes but as usual each recipe needed 1 or 2 ingredients that I didn't have. So I just made up the recipes. I put lemon zest and juice in one batch and honey and mixed spice in the other. The lemon I had in the freezer. When I had needed lemons for other recipes but not needed the zest I grated the zest off anyway, added some lemon juice and froze them in little silicone sweet cases. When they were frozen I popped them out of the cases and into a plastic bag in the freezer handy for when I might need them.
I was in the sitting room this morning when I heard a commotion in the kitchen. It was much louder than the usual crashing about when the cats try to raid the compost bin scrap tub. Sure enough when I went in the kitchen a whole container of air gun pellets had been knocked on to the floor. They are like giant ball bearings and had rolled everywhere. As I started picking them up muttering darkly I noticed some small feathers around the place too. I tracked Speedy down to the sitting room where he had a robin in his mouth. I eventually pried his teeth open but it was too late for the robin which died in my hand. I was so cross and made Speedy stay outside for the rest of the morning. The robin must have flown in through the half door in the back room which I leave open to let fresh air into the place.

1 comment:

happyone said...

I love the picture with the tree and the cloud.

What a job it must have been picking all those up!!