Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 18 July 2015

Green Man Day.

It's Green Man Day again and once more Peter and I volunteered for marshal duties, ie stopping the traffic when the procession came along. Things didn't go quite to plan as the person who was supposed to stop the traffic at the traffic lights was late hence the line of cars beside the procession. Lots of our school kids were in the procession and most of them waved to me as they walked past. It's a very community spirited event.
This year they stopped and did a performance at the traffic lights rather than in the crowded confines of Pilton Street itself.
We had to be there fairly early to check in with our organiser when it wasn't too crowded. Peter was also asked to keep his hi-vis tabard on and be a 'presence' in the street as this year there were no police, not even the community police support officers. Cut backs I suppose. Although there were still 4 stages this year the emphasis was on lesser known musicians and youngsters from the area playing as last year the better known bands had attracted more of the rowdy element and things nearly got out of hand. 
Once the procession entered Pilton Street the place was a sea of people. I could just imagine similar crowds at a medieval town festival. As well as costumed people from the procession most of the stall holders were in green medieval costumes and many people were in festival style (hippy-ish) clothes Because there are no breaks in the houses on either side the street gets very hot so I wore a light flowery dress and a straw panama hat with  flowers around it. I did have a mac in my bag in case it rained.
There were lots of craft stalls and so many food stalls from which came tempting smells. If it had been the sort of festival where we would be spending several hours sitting and listening to music I would have eaten from here. In the giant pot were new potatoes braised with butter, onions and scrumpy which you could have with a home-made farm reared pork sausage and home-made coleslaw. However after over 3 hours of ambling and lots of standing my legs had enough and we made our way home. I've got a nasty sinus headache so after giving the door frame another coat of paint I sat outside with some weak Earl Grey tea and my book. 
More pictures of stalls and interesting things tomorrow.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Looks and sounds like a fun day. There was a good turnout for the day. : )