Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 9 July 2015

Lovely Weather.

As neither of us had to get up for work we had a bit of a lie in before getting up to a perfect summer's day. Perfect because the sun was shining with a gentle breeze to make sure it didn't get too hot. When I went out in the garden the sound of bird song was almost deafening.
My day started with a trip to the dentist. I wasn't worried about this visit because it was just to make 2 sets of impressions. One set was for my dentures (that word makes me feel so old) and the other for the trays to put the tooth whitening stuff in. I'm doing the home whitening firstly because it is much cheaper than doing it at the dentist's but also because as the peroxide is a much lower concentration it's not so painful. It just takes longer to get the same effect. Such a vanity but I really hate my naturally yellow teeth.
After the dentist visit I drove across town to leave my car at school. From there I walked back into town to meet Peter and Gemma at the Honeymoon Chinese restaurant. They do a very good all-you-can-eat lunch buffet. We had a superb meal after which Gemma and Peter went off to play pool at The Reform pub while I had a leisurely wander down the High St. I got the things on my list and also a nice Per Una top from the Oxfam shop. The reason I had gone off on my own was that I had to head back to school for a team bonding event for all the staff. We had an archery session out on the school playing field. I had done archery when I was at school but that was 45 years ago so I didn't have any residual skill. Also the instructor got us all to look at him through our fingers so he could say which was our dominant eye and thus which hand we needed to hold the bow in. I had to hold the bow in my right hand and draw with my left hand which was the opposite to the way I had done it first time round. I didn't hit the target every time but it was still good fun.
When I did get home it was time to make a red velvet cake so that Vytas and Sally could see what it would be like. Unfortunately it has been a bit of a disaster, at least in the redness stakes. The red food colouring I had bought from Tesco's must be much weaker than the one I had used previously and the cake is brown rather than the deep red I achieved before. I even checked the recipe on line to see if I had copied down tablespoons rather than teaspoons for the cocoa but no I hadn't. At least they will get the chance to find out what it tastes like.

1 comment:

happyone said...

The roses are beautiful.
The weather sounds perfect. We just had more rain!!