Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 17 July 2015

Windy.

First thing this morning it was pouring with rain. Fortunately the rain eased off but grey clouds loomed for most of the day. I had a morning appointment at the dentist's again! This time to collect the stuff for my home tooth whitening. I'm going to have to rethink my usual diet as for the next 4 weeks (2 for the treatment and 2 more to let the enamel harden up again) I need to avoid foods that stain or that are acidic. Somethings are no problem; red wine, fizzy drinks and squash I don't have anyway and I can swap white chocolate for chocolate but no coffee!! and my daily tomato, onion and red pepper salad is also out. Lettuce and cucumber don't quite excite my taste buds. Luckily I drink Earl grey tea anyway. All because I'm fed up with having yellow teeth. The dentist also did the first fitting of my dental plates. Because I have an awkward bite there were a lot of adjustments to make and in the end the gum where the tooth was taken out started to get sore. Oh the joys of getting older. After the dentist's I got a few bargains at B&M's which cheered me up. B&M's is a cheap store that sells a bit of everything. I've been keeping an eye out for some new kitchen hand towels as ours are frankly threadbare. I found some white towels which although marked at £3 said £1 on the shelf. I checked and they were only £1 so I bought 4. I also picked up a set of measuring jugs as the one I have at home has the measurements marked by the raised plastic of the jug and are hard to read. The new ones have clear black markings and when I went to pay they were reduced to £1 too. 
The Rambling Rector rose (which can be seen growing in the trees in the top photo) is spreading nicely along the trees on our boundary.
Back home I decided to take a chance with the weather and painted the door and frame again. I may do one more coat on the frame and then that will be it. It was quite breezy out in the garden. The wind blowing through the trees sounded like waves crashing on shore. I weeded the bed by the new wall which was looking quite messy. At ground level not a single nasturtium had even seen the light of day. Up on the wall I kept seeing pairs of leaves for them to disappear a few days later. Only 8 plants have survived so far and this is the first flower.
After the weeding I sat by the wall in the front yard and carefully cut back all the seed heads and stalks of the snow-in-summer. I started by cutting each one individually though towards the end I cut the occasional handful when I could. At least that job didn't involve so much bending over. 
Off now for a final tomato salad with honey and mustard dressing. (I ate the last of the chocolate fudge cake this afternoon with a cup of coffee.)

No comments: