Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 10 July 2015

Sunny.

It's been an eventful day. After a morning of sprucing up 2 bedrooms I drove up to Tiverton to collect Romas and Laura from the train station. It so happens that some rail workers are on strike today which was why they couldn't come all the way down to Barnstaple on the train. All was going well until the car's overheating light shone it's little red glow. I pulled in to a lay by and put some water in the radiator. It didn't need much but the light went out so I carried on to the station. Then after only 14 miles back down the Link Road the light came on again. The water was fine, the engine was hot and the fan wasn't turning. Time to call the RAC who arrived after an hour and a half. There was nothing wrong with the water system and after he checked all the connections the fan resumed working. He did check the oil which was perilously low (my fault) and then sold me a litre of oil at the inflated price of £10. 
Having made it safely home we went down to Barricane Beach for a delicious Sri Lankan curry. 
From our table we watched a group of small children scaling the high rocks at the side of the beach. At this point the parents were getting concerned and telling them to get down. 
We had a stroll down to the water's edge after looking for sea anemones and demonstrating the viciousness of the snakeslocks. Our usually easily accessible rock pools were down by our ankles as about 3ft of sand had been washed into the beach. Out in the bay was the Galatea. a survey ship doing something? (Haven't been able to find out what.) We are currently waiting for Vytas and Sally to arrive. They rang a while back but seem to be running late. If they don't hurry up there won't be much of the cake left. I baked 3 layers of red velvet and put 2 together with buttercream and kept one to have with fresh cream and strawberries for tonight.

4 comments:

happyone said...

Glad nothing serious was wrong with your car, but still it must have been annoying. Hope everyone arrived and got to have some of that delicious sounding cake. : )

Harriet said...

Ruta what are "snakeslocks"? Hope your car is back to running ok. Vytas and Sally will enjoy your cake whenever they arrive. Wishes to you and yours for a lovely weekend.

Ruta M. said...

Snakeslocks are sea anemones with pink tipped green tentacles which will sting you if you stick your finger in them. (Never tried it myself.) The sting on the other common species is too weak to be felt.

Harriet said...

Thank you, Ruta, I truly appreciate you answering my questions. I've never seen a sea anemone probably because I don't live close to a sea. I have seen and walked in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans as well as the Gulf of Mexico. Michigan is surrounded by three of our great lakes. We do visit the lakes; however, the property rights of the land owners along the lakes take precedence over others so walking along any of our lakes is challenging. That is why I so appreciate your photos ... I imagine I am walking along and seeing the lovely vistas.