Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 20 July 2015

Last Day of School.

It rained steadily all through the morning. That was okay by me as I had things to do indoors. 
First I had some school work to do on the pc and I discovered I did have a 'before' photo of the kitchen door. I can't believe how bad it was! Then I had time to clean some brass work from the front door and screw it back on, paint yet another coat of white on the tiles (It's going to take a lot to cover up that red) and chip out some concrete where the kitchen door shuts against the floor of the porch. Romas had pointed out that the door din't shut properly because a metal strip along the floor had been set too far into the room. I'm chipping out the concrete behind the strip and then I'll bash the strip back on itself so that the door closes easily. At least that is the plan.   
At school the children had brought in their own toys to play with and were being allowed free play all day. I took in a stack of paper for them to use for drawing or pictures and a group of girls started writing. These were from 2 of the most well behaved, polite little girls you could imagine. They were obviously having a rebellious moment. But what impressive writing from children who are only just 5 years old. Their last writing focus had been using time words in a recount and the one before had been about writing instructions. 
This one has progressed into writing about The Hungry Caterpillar which was a book they had written about earlier in the term. It's mostly phonically plausible and I love her spelling quiet as cwiyoot. And then it was time to send them home for the last time this year. Their class teacher came in  to do that and I just helped to make sure they took home all their belongings. Even though I was not their class teacher there were still some cards and presents from the children which I thought was really sweet. My part-time timetable will be the same next year so I will be teaching them on Wednesday afternoons in their Year One classes. After school I headed off to the carpet remnant warehouse to see if by any chance they had carpets big enough for our sitting room but no chance. However they do also sell cheapish carpet by the metre and it wouldn't cost as much as I thought to re-carpet the sitting room. Now I need to get a quote from someone Peter knows and maybe we can go ahead with getting a new carpet.
The rain got heavier in the afternoon and in town it was very hot and muggy. Out here the strong wind is clearing the air a bit and it has stopped raining for the moment. Now the holiday begins.

No comments: