Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 4 January 2016

Floods.

It's been a day of sudden severe downpours. These photos show the stream this morning. By the time I drove to work there were the usual flooded places on the back road and a few new floods which I drove through carefully. 
By the time I came home this evening the flooded places on the back  road had increased in size and the twin streams running down the sides of the road down from the Lewis' farm were almost meeting in the middle of the road. At home the stream had risen over the top of the culvert and the bog garden was under water. It was unnerving to see the stream at the back of the house only a foot below the level of the block wall and the front patio was partly flooded too. The 2 dams on the far side of the road above the garden were just about holding up but a lot of water was coming down on the other side washing away the gravel on that side of the drive. I changed into waterproofs, reinforced the 2 dams then dug up more soil from the side of the road to make a large dam to divert the water on the other side. Not great for my back which is still sore from yesterday. I've just been out (6.30) and the water level has dropped by about 6" so I shan't be worrying all night.
This morning I bit the bullet and stood on those scales. I find I can keep my weight steady by eating sensibly but if I want to lose weight then I need the extra reinforcement of daily weighing. That's what works for me. I nearly fell on Day 1 when I went to the Co-Op after school. There with 75% off were 2 of my favourite maple pecan Danish pastries not to mention brandy cream in vast quantities. But I was strong and made do with persimmons, low fat yoghurts and some Wensleydale with cranberries (I allow myself that in small quantities).
This morning I put away Christmas - took down the 3 ornaments, saved family cards and recycled the rest into gift tags or shopping list cards. There are times when I find it helpful to write a daily jobs list but for now I'm going to try writing a weekly list of the extra jobs I need to get through. 

1 comment:

happyone said...

I weigh myself every day. It keeps me in check. I have a scale like the ones in the doctors office.
Glad the water has finally started to go down.
We finally got some snow today.