Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 10 January 2016

Getting Colder.

Last night the wind roared around the house making it seem extra cosy under our warm duvet. By this morning the wind had died down and instead we had rain, lots of it. Then the rain turned to hail and before long the front patio was white with hailstones.
As soon as the hail died down I went outside to check on the dams. They were still intact but I took the opportunity to take off some of the grass and soil that was encroaching on the road  and use it to reinforce the dams. That was my only foray outside and for the rest of the day I worked on first writing up notes in my journal and then making a start on reading the following year's blog and taking notes. Those were the years we had lots of snow and were cut off here in the valley including having no oil for heating and then no piped water. Hopefully that won't happen this year. 
Having taught myself to do an elastic bind off' for the fingerless mittens I'm knitting I realised that I really needed to make a tighter rather than looser edge. Undoing the elastic bind off wasn't as easy as usual because you knit a stitch and then knit it again with the last stitch. My usual casting off stitch gave a better edge after all. The pattern didn't have any tension measurements so the mitten is possibly a bit loose. That's not a problem as the mix up in the order means I have 3 extra balls of the same wool and can knit a second smaller pair of mittens.

No comments: