Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 16 January 2016

Popweed Alert.

As I lay in bed this morning I looked out of the window and saw specks swirling around in the air. Could it possibly be snowing? Then I looked again and saw that the specks were dancing around so not snow flakes but midges. A sign of how mild it has been today. Downstairs I found 2 ladybirds walking around on the kitchen table. I put them out in the porch to continue their winter hibernation.
Being not too cold and more importantly dry I took myself outside for the afternoon for more gardening in the old hens' run. I moved a pile of branches onto the concrete then wondered if it wouldn't be better to burn the smaller stuff. I got a fire going but didn't have enough dry twigs to get the wood burning. While my fire was smouldering away I did some emergency weeding as I had noticed that one weed, which I've just identified as popweed, was not only flowering but some had produced seed heads. Luckily it pulls up easily so I crawled around pulling it all up. Then starting at the worst corner I began digging the buttercups and docks out of the clay-ey soil. While I worked a robin perched on the apple tree beside me watching for things to eat. My final job was to roll the yew trunk to the corner of the hens' run and slide it down behind the shed. That was enough for one day.

No comments: