Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 25 January 2016

Swede Day.

An early start for me this morning. I consider that if the sky is dark when I leave the house then it is still night time and all good people should be in bed at night. It was car lights on for the whole journey though it had lightened up by the time I got to school. I had a pleasant day in the Reception class. One little boy made my morning when his response to my reply to his question "Are you looking after us today" was to run over and give me a hug. My ego quickly deflated when the next thing he asked was "Where's Miss Walker?" (She's their class teacher.) We had a morning of maths when my groups of children played little games with teen number cards to practice recognition and ordering. Others are still working on recognising numbers up to 10. In order to prove to the powers that be photos have to be taken of each child doing their maths. It took most of my lunchtime to print the photos, trim and then stick them into books with appropriate comments as well as writing in the reading record books of the guided group I had in the morning but I made sure I had 15 mins to sit and relax. In the afternoon the children had to cut out pictures of 3-d shapes and use them to design a castle which they will later build from blocks, or at least attempt to build. There wasn't too much tidying up to do at the end of the day so I was off before 4.00 and down to the Co-Op to stock up on fresh fruit and veg.
The day, when I finally saw it, had started grey with some drizzle then for a brief but glorious spell in the afternoon we had blue skies and warm sunshine. 
As I drove home I was hoping for a good sunset. I just managed to catch the sun lighting up the edges of the clouds. I was under the clouds as I took these photos and it was bitterly cold.
Driving along the back roads I could see a scattering of fodder swedes along the edges of the road or crushed across the road. "Somebody is harvesting their swedes." was my brilliant deduction and when I turned into our drive I saw the operation in progress in the top field.
There is a proper road surface under all that slippery mud. 
 The automated swede picking machinery.

No comments: