Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 3 January 2016

Not So Wet.

It's the last (indulgent) day of the holidays. We're both back to work tomorrow and I will be back on my diet. Too many treats have left me a little larger than I should be. I've done it before so I can do it again.
After a wet night the day has been mainly dry so out I went to work in the garden. There were a couple of jobs I had hoped the boys would have had time to help me with but they weren't here that long and it did rain a lot so it's down to me. One of the jobs was to dig out the stump of the Irish Yew tree which is in the middle of what I want to present to prospective buyers as a veg plot. Up I went with my hand tools and bow saw to work old lady style kneeling on the ground. After a couple of hours I had dug a big hole around the tree and cut the exposed roots. So far it's not even rocking so it's going to take more digging and cutting before I can get the tree stump out. After all that I hobbled down the garden as my back was somewhat sore. Thank goodness for my stock of strong painkillers but I shall have to pace myself a bit better in future.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

One job that I find very rewarding in my garden is digging things out. Like you, I have tackled shrubs over a period of time and managed to remove a pretty mature stump. Right now in my southeast Michigan the sun is shining and a very few snow flakes are swirling around. Winter in Michigan is very changeable. I did decrease my perennial garden last Fall and since the area is not covered with snow plus I didn't put down the shredded leaves for mulch....I am wondering what I will find come Spring.