Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 27 January 2016

Windy.

It's been a wild day today. More windy than wet but at 9C still very mild for January. The rain got heavier later in the day, hopefully it will wash the mud off the the road. The turning at the top of the drive is still a sea of slippery mud.
My morning was spent doing housework and dismantling some stuff ready to take take the dump. I was back at school in the afternoon in the same reception class. It seemed a bit tame to be just teaching handwriting and reading after spending the last couple of days covering everything. However I have no desire to have responsibility for a class full-time. My short week suits me fine.
After school we had a staff meeting, feed-back from the latest conference our head teacher and another teacher went to in London. New ways of becoming more effective teachers. In between they went to the top of The Shard. 2 gin and tonics cost them £30!! 
Thinking of London I'm enjoying watching the new series of Call the Midwife. As well as being the sort of people centered story I generally enjoy it also brings back some memories. It is set in Poplar which was where we had our first flat only about 15 years later than when the series is set. I too rode a bicycle to get around the local area and while there was a lot of development during that time there was enough of old London left to make the setting very familiar. 
The front of The (Royal) London Hospital is sometimes shown. Apart from being close to Peter's home it is a place I became even more familiar with in the year before our marriage when I would visit Peter there following a motorbike accident. The nurses wore the same purple uniforms at that time though they have been modernised since.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

I, too, have watched "Call the Midwife". A very enjoyable albeit at time sad serial. I found the lives of the midwives very interesting. Not so much the lives of the people who lived in the area. However, the time in which the serial takes place was certainly changing levels of economic as well as social ideas. My husband and I (70 and 73) often reflect while enjoying our morning coffee on the enormous changes we've experienced in our adult years. Almost mind blowing.

happyone said...

I followed the link to the Shard. Wow that is some building.
We enjoyed Call the Midwife too.