Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 3 February 2016

Chilly.

The wind this morning was bitterly cold. I think this is the first time this winter that I've woken up and felt the bedroom was cold. We don't have the heating on overnight but I generally don't notice the cold that much. School always feels hot to me and most days I shed my cardigan or fleece as soon as I walk into a classroom. 
This morning I did the final adjustments and trimming to the new carpet (the different colour at the side is due to the light from the window not the carpet). It's a bit lighter than it looks in the photo and is an improvement on the badly marked sand coloured carpet that was in there. 
I had a second afternoon in reception helping a group of children make a castle together. Apart from the occasional suggestion my role was to tear off strips of masking tape for the children to use. As there were parents'  meetings for Year 2 and Reception in the afternoon and running on until 6.00 we didn't have an after school staff meeting and I got home shortly after 4.00.
I finished knitting my second pair of Middle Earth fingerless mittens a couple of evenings ago and today I tidied up all the loose ends. These are smaller than the first pair and fit me nicely. 
We've been seeing deer again in the field next door. While the light rump patches may scare off wild predators they do make the deer very visible to the human eye. This one heard me going up the drive to check the dams and bounced away springing over the clumps of grass.
 Rooks.

4 comments:

happyone said...

I think the carpet looks very nice with the yellow walls. : )
Like your fingerless gloves. I tried to knit a pair on DPN's but couldn't seem to get the hang of it.
Did you knit them on two needles and then sew them together? Would you share your pattern if you did?

Mary Siler said...

Love the room...the colours are so good together!

Ruta M. said...

The mittens are an exact copy of those worn by Bofur in The Hobbit. The mittens were knitted on 4 needles using a pattern and wool from Stansborough, a farm in NZ that supplied the wool for the LOTR film costumes. I had never used them before and it took me while to get going with the first pair of mittens I made but I think I've got the hang of it now.

happyone said...

Thanks for answering my question. I am hopeless with DPN's.