Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 18 February 2016

DIY.

We had bright sunshine and heavy showers today. I love the colour contrast in these pictures which I took on my way into town this morning. Having finished off the ceiling with the stain stop paint before breakfast I made a list of all the materials I needed to complete the study. I spent ages in B&Q searching the shelves for the different things I wanted before giving up and searched for an assistant instead. The reason I didn't find the stain stop was that they had sold out but I got the tile adhesive, white paint and wall filler I needed. I'll give the ceiling a coat of normal white paint tomorrow, after I put up 2 strips of lining paper on the wall, and see how it looks. At the moment I can't see the stains when the light is on but I can just make out some yellowing in natural light.
Today I soaked off the last bits of wallpaper that were in the corner and filled all the holes in the wall. I plan to use 3 tiles instead of 2 for the splashback so that the biggest hole will be covered by a tile. There was also a long crack in the ceiling artex which I covered over with decorator's caulk. At least the textured ceiling made it easy for me to blend in the caulk creating the random swirls with my fingers.
Finally I made a 3 sided box to put under the sink to hide all the pipework. I took the measurements to B&Q to see if they had some boards/panels that would make the job easier but in the end I used a pine plank and a solid pine shelf that I had at home. When I had finished I worried that the plank might have woodworm as I could see a few round marks. To be on the safe side I wiped it all down with woodworm killer.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Lovely photos, Ruta. Like you, I have spent a great deal of time looking, then looking for an assistant only to learn what I was looking for was gone, no longer available or-worse yet-simply packaged differently, this always makes me feel stupid.

Ruta M. said...

And I found an enormous tub of tile adhesive in the cupboard so the small tube I bought yesterday will be going back for a refund.