Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 4 February 2016

Smashing Time.

We've been living in the clouds today. Some of these photos were taken in the middle of the day and some later in the afternoon when the cloud layer had dropped even lower. 
This morning I loaded up the car with bits of carpet, some junk I had persuaded Peter to clear from his study  and a couple of bags for the charity shop. I also took the glass with the chipped foot and its receipt to get a refund from Tesco's. Unfortunately when I was getting my bags from the passenger side the box with the glass in slid off the seat and the glass dropped on the ground smashing into a thousand pieces. Some very unladylike language then ensued. At least when I went into Tesco's I found more of the glasses and bought 3 cushioning them very carefully for their journey home. On my way home the clouds were swirling around the hospital and my drive home was through a world of white with ghostly trees and hedges on either side of the road.
In town I posted a parcel and gave 2 bags of stuff to the charity shop. Walking down Butcher's Row some of the things that caught my eye in the independent food shops were; bags of broken meringue to make Eton mess (love it but not when I'm dieting),  marrow bones for 50p (no dog) and quail's eggs (too fancy for me). I browsed in a few shops and found the big storage boxes I've been after at 3 for £12. Six were the most I thought I could carry back across the bridge to Lidl's car park.
At home I had another try at those holes in the plasterboard under the stairs. The last lot of filler fell out - again! so this time I mixed up the dry powder with super glue. Surely that should hold in place. I had mixed it in a plastic cottage cheese tub (plenty of those around at the moment) and it was surprising how hot the mixture got. I know the chemical reaction when you mix dry plaster with water creates some heat but this was almost too hot to hold. My last job of the afternoon was to sort out some shelves in Peter's study. These were simple board shelves that I had put up many years ago against the exposed stone wall in there when it was Vytas' bedroom. One shelf had fallen off entirely and the other was very loose - I suspect that they may have been used in an attempt to climb the wall back along. Peter took over that room when Vytas left home so I left that room in his hands. He has had plenty of opportunities to sort it out but somehow that never happened. Today I got out the heavy duty drill, put in longer wall plugs and screws and fixed the shelves properly. Hopefully there will be more sorting out done in that room this weekend.

No comments: