Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 7 May 2016

Warm.

The winds are blowing from the south keeping it nice and warm. It's been mainly hazy with several hours of blazing sun in the afternoon. Peter went out early to row, something he hasn't been able to do for a very long time. 
After my usual household jobs I set out to prove that it is possible to bring down a tree using wood chisels. The chainsaw saga continues, after a new filter and fresh fuel it now seems that the carburettor needs cleaning. In order to speed things up Peter took the chainsaw to the shop for a clean. However the helpful  chainsaw man has been replaced by a bumptious young man who declared that he was the business owner but didn't know about chainsaws. He does have engineers who can do the job but it would take 2 weeks! and cost about half the original purchase price of the chainsaw. Needless to say Peter didn't avail himself of this generous offer and is buying the kit on line for a fraction of the shop's fee.  
Even with a chainsaw it would be almost impossible to cut the trunk at ground level so using chisels isn't that crazy. I find that the bow saw  affects the arthritis in my hands so hopefully sitting on the ground and carving away will prove slow but steady. The angle of the trunk means I have to cut through at least twice as much wood but I think I am almost a third of the way there.
While I was busy working at the tree Jack from next door arrived on the tractor mower, as you do, to have a look at some military stuff left over from the boys' airsoft days; webbing, bags, shirts etc and went off clutching the lot. Like many lads he likes all things military though I had checked with his mum first. I find now that my eye is roving over all our belongings wondering if we really do need them or can I clear them out. Already a few more things are scheduled to go.
Later I had a welcome break sitting out in the sun surrounded by cats. Peter barbecued lamb steaks which he had marinated overnight and served them with salad and potatoes. Eating outside was a little quieter as I adjusted the insulation boards surrounding the outdoor pump that puts air into the water treatment system. On Romas' advice I created an airspace between the unit and the insulation boards inside the fake wooden kennel and that was most effective. I had tried an old wool blanket and a feather filled cushion but neither had any effect.
My working day finished with ironing the sheets that had been out on the line in this lovely weather.

No comments: