Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 11 August 2021

Wet.

The day went from a morning of light drizzle and intermittent showers to steady rain in the afternoon.
Apart from having to put a waterprood jacket on for a short while the rain didn't interfere with my morning of weeding at the zoo. I'm generally left to my own devices when I'm at the zoo so I began by checking on some of the recently weeded areas. Some seedlings that had popped up in the flower beds were easily removed and I removed clumps of grass from one of the woodchip children's play areas. Then I returned to one of the gravel areas near the entrance. I've more or less given up on the gravel by the cafe as the gravel has sunk into the ground and weeds appear as soon as you turn your back. This is the area that really needs weedkiller. Instead I cleared a lot of tall weeds that were growing under some picnic tables. I couldn't take an 'after' photo because when I wandered around with my camera a family were sitting at the tables. I chatted to a few few families as I worked, mostly to explain why there are only domesticated animals on view. You can tell people are really disappointed not to be able to see the more interesting animals.
Three no-so-little pigs.
Mrs Peahen hiding her chicks under her wings. There's a new peacock in a pen, light body with a green neck, but I didn't get a good photo.
This little feather duster of a Bantam is a Frizzle and the black one is a Polish.

I'd spent such a long time chatting to another volunteer and helping groom the ponies that once I got home I just watched tv and the wet view from the sitting room window.


1 comment:

lea said...

We could certainly use that rain here!
I like Bantams, I had some when I was a kid (not such fancy ones though).