Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 17 March 2022

A Hint of Sun.

Let us hope that Spring comes soon to Ukraine.
Street art in Kyiv.
The weather has been quite strange today. One minute the air was filled with sea mist and everything was cold and clammy and the next the mist had blown away, the sky was blue and it was almost warm.
As I thought that it was going to rain later after breakfast I went out in the garden and cut back one more hydrangea. That gave me better access to the hedge and I was able to do more tying in of the climbing hydrangea. Hopefully now it will form part of the hedge rather than flopping out into the garden. I did my exercise bike session and then it was time for our Zoom class. It was fun today as we practised asking each other questions with the eventual aim of being able to hold a conversation in Welsh.
After class the sun was shining I decided to head out for a beach walk.

It wasn't long after low tide so there was plenty of sand to walk on. 
I walked this far (above) until the incoming tide was surging over the sand into a deeper channel between me and the shingle bank. It was beginning to do the same behind me too (below) so I thought it was best to head back.
But first I stopped to examine the section of the drowned forest that was sticking up out of the sand.
I was intrigued by these logs sticking out of the peat which had obviously been cut with a saw. The original forest has been dated to 5,000 - 4,500 years ago after which it declined and was covered by a layer of acidic peat.The time of the forest covers the Bronze Age when the tools were axes and spears, not saws as bronze is too soft. The peat has been dated as 4,000 years old which puts it at the end of the Bronze Age but I have read of the discovery of walkways made from sticks and stones so maybe these are from a slightly later walkway or even from the legendary kingdom of Cantre'r Gwaelod which supposedly was flooded when a drunken gate keeper forgot to close the sluice gates that kept the tide from flooding the dykes draining the marshland. (There is no evidence apart from written history/stories for this.) I couldn't find out any more on-line, maybe I need to call in at the museum and ask.
Peter has gone out for the evening for the rowing club's AGM so I'll be eating on my own tonight. I'll do my 15 minutes on the exercise bike first as my vegetables cook.
 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Love the street art!