Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 2 March 2022

Grey.

It was raining so heavily this morning that I thought I'd have to give the zoo a miss but luckily the rain stopped around 10.00 and I headed down to the zoo only half an hour later than usual. 
Once I got to the zoo it stayed dry with just a few drops of rain at times even though the clouds overhead were ominously dark. I don't mind working in the rain but unless there is something urgent to do I don't fancy starting work in the rain.
Probably because of the weather there was only one other volunteer at the zoo today so there wasn't much opportunity to chat apart from talking to the animals. The first thing I did this morning was to straighten up the last side of the woodchip play area where I used some of the grass dug out of the woodchip to fill in the bare patches where the woodchip had spread over the grass. From there I went back to weeding the gravel areas and cleared a lot of roots that were masquerading as tiny plants with leaves only millimeters across.
I'm not a fan of wild rats but these two look quite friendly.
You can see why goats are thought to be responsible for a major factor in the loss of vegetation in areas like the Sahara. (The cages in the background are empty and hopefully soon to be refurbished.)
This week - The amazing four-headed Guinea fowl.
Back home Peter had run silicone along the upstand so I was able to put back the things that live on the worktop though I try to keep it as clear as I can. Apart from sewing up a hole in  pair of Peter's house shoes I didn't do much else this afternoon.

 

No comments: