Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 1 March 2022

Sunny.

Bright and sunny this morning with enough wind to dry the washing I put out on the line. It got cloudier and colder as the day went on but not bad for the first day of Spring.
Today was the day for fitting the upstand. I couldn't believe my ears though maybe I should have expected it when Peter denied all knowledge of the upstand, what it was and where it was going to be fitted. We've only been stepping over the 8ft lengths of wood lying across the opening between the sitting room and the kitchen for a year and I've repeatedly asked Peter about getting the kitchen fitter or our carpenter neighbour to come and fit the upstand which he has tried to do with no success. Which is why we decided to do the job ourselves. You'd think it was an easy job, cut the wood to length and stick it to the wall but there was more to it than that. First the silicone at the edge of the worktop had to be prised out. Then the wood was cut to length and sanded to round off the edge and smooth the front and top. Then the wood had to have oil painted on, left for 15 minutes and wiped off. Finally the glue was applied and the upstand held in place against the wall. Unfortunately the wood, despite having been sandwiched between thick planks of MDF had become slightly bowed hence the bricks in plastic bags keeping the wood pressed against the wall. (I'm quite proud of that solution.) We'll leave the bricks until tomorrow and the last step will be a line of silicone between the upstand and the worktop. And that is the saga of fitting the upstand. Then all that will need doing is to decide on very expensive glass or tiles to create a wipe clean surface on the walls in that corner .
My other job for the day was to do the homework for our Welsh class. Having had half-term I could have done it any time last week but I suppose two days before class is better than my usual one day before the class.
Remember all those people viewing the house next door? I checked last night and the house no longer appears on-line which generally means an offer has been made and the place taken off the market. If that is the case you can say it has been sold in just over a week. 
Spring in the garden.


 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Hope you and your new neighbors will become good friends. :)