Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 2 July 2022

Dry.

In the morning it looked as if we were in for a day of showers but in the end we had a dry day. Warm in the sun and chilly in the shade.
I had a parcel to post and as our local Post Office counter is closed on Saturdays that meant an early run to town. After sending off my parcel I did a quick shop in Lidl. It's common now to see gaps on supermarket shelves and today there was a lack of toilet paper. Only half a section of a 2-ply brand which wouldn't be my first choice. Also completely missing were any tins of cat food. As I also needed frozen cauliflower, something I eat regularily, which Lidl's don't sell I drove over to Tesco's. Still no tins of cat food and I don't want to start buying the pouches of cat food as Speedy is getting picky now so I just bought extra dry cat food. He is pampered enough as it is. He likes gentle classical music, his head drops lower and lower and then he falls asleep, so Peter often leaves Classic FM playing on the radio for him.
The lawn.
My outdoor work for today was cleaning a few more of the facing slabs. The second one I chose had been stuck down with concrete which needed chipping off flake by flake and took forever with the old brick bolster. Peter is going to order me a cold chisel as I fear there is more concrete to remove. 
That took all afternoon by which time my wrist and fingers were aching and I'd had enough. I think I may have to restrict myself to just one block a session. But it would be silly to waste the blocks we have and apart from the cost I'm not sure if you can even buy this design any more.
Before settling down with a coffee on the terrace I went down to admire the hydrangeas. There are all sorts in the garden. The large mop-head above has blooms the size of a person's head while the deeper blue ones below are the size of a fist.
The only lace-cap which I think is my favourite has blooms the size of dinner plates. 
I finished the day with a bit of sewing on the terrace. I've been meaning to fix my comfy everyday trousers for some time as my weight loss has left them in danger of falling down. It was an easy job to run an extra piece of elastic through and stitch back the waist band. It's funny that now I don't go to work and have an image to maintain I have reduced my wardrobe to functional basics and more or less wear the same clothes every day. Comfy clothes for in the house, a bit smarter for trips out, old clothes for gardening and even older clothes for diy. I still keep all my other clothes as you never know when they'll be needed plus my size goes up and down though hopefully not too far up.

 

1 comment:

lea said...

I love the picture of Speedy. I have a lace-cap hydrangea called Strawberries and Cream, I found it on a clearance rack a few years ago. I really like it, I also have a big, old lace-cap that's blue. It's special for me because I took the cutting from the bush of a very dear elderly friend.