Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 24 July 2022

Warm.

Today has been warm but very wet. It rained heavily in the night and on and off all day. Peter's row today was cancelled due to the heavy swell which never really developed into good surfing waves. Much to the disappointment of the surfers I'm sure.
I had a late start to the day after a poor night's sleep. That was annoying as I'd put my head down at 11.00 and fallen asleep before the end of the quiz on R4 only to wake up just before midnight. Didn't get back to sleep until after 2.00 and still woke again in the early hours. At least that doesn't happen every night.
 
I had hoped to do some work in the back garden but it was hard enough to find a break in the rain to run into the garage to get the paint and brush to finish off painting the wall in the sitting room. That job at least is done and my hat rack had a coat of satin paint. I also made a start of fixing the wooden bracing pieces of our large oak coffee table which originally was a full sized table until I shortened the legs.
Then it was time for more Welsh. I had suggested that we work on the different yes/no options  tomorrow when we meet and each turn up with a list of questions that use a mix of six ways to say yes or no (more if you count the different ways to respond to you singular (familiar) and you plural (formal) for some of them). I wrote out my list and then attempted to remember which yes/no to use. That was very helpful for me. Some of my questions refer to 'Owen' a character used in Duo Lingo that seems to have an odd relationship with parsnips. Apart from simply liking them he also sells them in his nightclub and wants to buy them in Norway. 
Going through my Duo Lingo section on 'to go' I'm finally getting to grips with the past tense. I realise now that part of my confusion was the odd way we use different ways to say 'go' in the past tense. If it is a statement we say I went which stems from the old english word wendan but if we ask a question we revert to the did you go? form which comes from gan. How on earth do people learn english?

 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Hope you get a good nights sleep. :)